Changes may be made to the NSW Dine and Discover program so vouchers don’t go to waste while parts of the state are in Covid lockdown.
The NSW Government is considering changes to the voucher scheme in light of the new restrictions, The Daily Telegraph reports.
The possible changes include an extension on the current July 31 deadline, and allowing the vouchers to be spent on takeaway and delivery direct from restaurants.
Currently, the $25 Dine vouchers can be used only to dine-in at restaurants, which is not possible for millions of residents across Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Central Coast who are in lockdown until July 9.
Restaurants and food outlets in those areas can open for only takeaway services during the lockdown period.
According to The Daily Telegraph, an expansion to the voucher scheme could be part of Treasurer Dominic Perrottet’s economic stimulus package to support businesses during lockdown, which is expected to be unveiled in days.
As she announced the lockdown on Saturday , Premier Gladys Berejiklian said businesses would be offered state support.
“In the meantime, I don’t want anyone to feel stressed more than we need to and I don’t want anyone to feel panicked about their financial situation,” Ms Berejiklian said on Saturday.
The Dine and Discover vouchers, which are available to all NSW residents on the Service NSW app, gives $100 to each resident, split across two $25 vouchers to spend on dining and two $25 vouchers to spend on arts, entertainment and tourism experiences.
Earlier this month the NSW Government extended the scheme after learning thousands of vouchers had gone unclaimed with just weeks to go before they expired at the end of June.