A house made for champagne tastes but built on a beer budget took out one of the top gongs at the Master Builders Brisbane Housing and Construction Awards on the weekend.
The single storey, Mika 35 design by Brighton Homes was awarded the 2019 Presidents Award, with the judges noting that not a single detail had been missed.
“The home exudes expensive and luxury but it’s a budget home,” the judges said.
“This is created through numerous elements including the butler’s pantry and floor-to-ceiling tiles in the wet areas.
“Can we talk about the circle wall? It’s almost a picture frame and a real showpiece of this home.
“A lot of people would have been tempted to have this zone just as a straight wall. But it’s a quirky, novel approach that really opens up the home and is a credit to the work of this builder.
“There is a real feeling of openness inside this home, the ceiling adds to this and fills the home with airiness and light.”
The four bedroom house design starts from $299,400, and includes two bathrooms, three living spaces and room for two vehicles.
It is currently on display at Providence South Ripley.
The Brisbane House of the Year award was won by MCD Construction for Highgate Hill Residence, a modern house built on top of substantial earthworks, footing and cliff retention systems high above the Brisbane River.
The main living areas of the house, which was described as “visually stimulating” by the judges, are separated from the ‘backyard’ by a freshwater frog pond that was designed to enhance the natural surroundings.
For the build, the construction team had “major challenges” to deal with, including the issue of sediment and stormwater run-off and limited site access due to the complexities of the inner-city block.
“Off-form concrete and the ability to get that so perfect off-form is fantastic and shows the level of skill of this builder,” the judges said.
“The home incorporates different materials, timber, steel, concrete block that’s quite industrial but it’s all beautifully tied together and softened with strategic use and placement of greenery.
“It’s visually stimulating but it’s not an overly complicated design, it flows.”
The Brisbane Project of the Year was awarded to the W Hotel, which has a site footprint of around 8200sq m and was constructed by Multiplex.
Featuring an 82-storey luxury apartment tower, the 34-storey W Hotel, seven basement carpark levels and a four-storey retail podium, the W Hotel Multiplex team prefabricated the roof structure on the ground and lifted it into place.
This allowed for works to be completed on the higher hotel floors, without the obstruction of back props, and for the construction of the roof to happen almost simultaneously. An
“There were many outstanding projects in this category but this had the wow factor and we couldn’t fault it, it really blew you away in design and in quality of build,” the judges said.
“In addition to all the technical building elements, site access on this inner-city site would have been a challenge. They would have had great trouble with vehicles having nowhere to pull off.
“The tourism and leisure facilities are second to none.”
ALL OF THE BRISBANE WINNERS
• Health Facilities up to $20 million — Paynters Pty Ltd for Caboolture Hospital Emergency Department Expansion Stage 1B (Caboolture)
• Health Facilities over $20 million — Evans Built Pty Ltd for Westside Private Taringa (Taringa)
• Education Facilities up to $10 million — Stokes Wheeler Pty Ltd for Moreton Bay Boys’ College — New Library (Manly West)
• Education Facilities over $10 million — Rohrig (Qld) Pty Ltd for Ormiston College Centre for Learning and Innovation (Ormiston)
• Sporting Facilities — Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd for Queensland State Netball Centre (Nathan)
• Community Service Facilities — GTH Project No 4 Pty Ltd for GemLife Bribie Island Country Club (Bongaree)
• Retail Facilities up to $5 million — J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Burpengary East 7-Eleven & Childcare (Burpengary East)
• Retail Facilities over $5 million — Damien M Cavallucci T/A Cavcorp for Long Island Gasworks (Newstead)
• Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million — Intrec Management Pty Ltd for SparkLab, Sciencentre at Queensland Museum (South Brisbane)
• Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million — Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for W Hotel and Brisbane Quarter (Brisbane City)
• Commercial Building up to $5 million — Apollo Property Group Pty Ltd for Eagleby Service Centre (Eagleby)
• Commercial Building $5 million — $50 million — Spaceframe Buildings Pty Ltd for Volvo Headquarters and Dealership (Wacol)
• Commercial Building over $50 million — J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Aurizon Office (Fortitude Valley)
• Industrial Building over $5 million — FDC Construction & Fitout (QLD) Pty Limited for Blenners Transport (Darra)
• Excellence in Workplace Health & Safety — Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for W Hotel and Brisbane Quarter (Brisbane)
• Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Environmental Management — BA Murphy Constructions Pty Ltd for BA Murphy Constructions — Environmental (Everton Park)
• Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million — J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Walan Apartments (Kangaroo Point)
• Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes — FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd for Sinnamon Village Aged Care — Stage 1 ‘Dovetree’ (Sinnamon Park)
• Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 — James Maguire Construction Pty Ltd T/A JMC Commercial for Customs House Refurbishment (Brisbane)
• Refurbishment/Renovation $750,000 — $5 million — MCD Construction (Qld) Pty Ltd T/A MCD Construction for Walter’s Steakhouse (Brisbane)
• Refurbishment/Renovation over $5 million — J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Howard Smith Wharves (Brisbane)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 — King Builders Pty Ltd for Jacaranda House (Mount Gravatt East)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 — $575,000 — DJ Built Homes Pty Ltd for Doughty Renovation (Holland Park West)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $576,000 — $1 million — Nicholas Copeland Pty Ltd for Warilda (Camp Hill)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $1 million — Zephyr Industries Pty Ltd for Belvedere (Ascot)
• Display Home up to $250,000 — Coral Homes Qld Pty Ltd for Noosa 23MKII — Mornington façade (Logan Reserve)
• Display Home $251,000 — $350,000 — McDonald Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Brighton Homes Queensland for Mika 35 (South Ripley)
• Display Home $351,000 — $450,000 — McDonald Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Brighton Homes Queensland for Oscar 37 (Pallara)
• Display Home $451,000 — $550,000 — McDonald Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Brighton Homes Queensland for Preston 40 (South Ripley)
• Display Home over $551,000 — McLachlan Special Projects Pty Ltd for The Sea Breeze (Newport)
• Individual Home up to $250,000 — David A Bartle for Hemmant Tower (Hemmant)
• Individual Home $251,000 — $350,000 — Australasian Homes Pty Ltd T/A Valcon Homes for Vista 227 (Bahrs Scrub)
• Individual Home $351,000 — $450,000 — D3K Constructions PTY LTD T/A Stroud Homes Brisbane East for Wildflower 256 Skillion façade (Sherwoood)
• Individual Home $451,000 — $550,000 — VJ Homes Pty Ltd T/A Oceanview Constructions for Whitehall (Birkdale)
• Individual Home $551,000 — $650,000 — Zephyr Industries Pty Ltd for Bayview Glasshouse (Wavell Heights)
• Individual Home $651,000 — $750,000 — Arlidge Constructions Pty Ltd for Sherwood Courtyard Home (Sherwood)
• Individual Home $751,000 — $950,000 — Eco Building Services Pty Ltd for Grange Residence (Grange)
• Individual Home $951,000 — $1.25 million — Cardwell Pty Ltd T/A Knowlman McDonald for Corinda House (Corinda)
• Individual Home $1.26 million — $2 million — MCD Construction (Qld) Pty Ltd T/A MCD Construction for Highgate Hill Residence (Highgate Hill)
• Individual Home over $2 million — J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Hill House (Pullenvale)
• Best Use of Small Sites — Alan G Newitt for KARINYA (Petrie Terrace)
• Best Use of Sloping Sites — Graya Construction Pty Ltd for Upper Cairns House (Paddington)
• Best Use of Steel Frame Housing — Stroud Homes Brisbane South Pty Ltd for Montego 393 Display Home (New Beith)
• Medium Density up to 3 Storeys — 2 to 5 Dwellings — Dux Designer Homes Pty Ltd T/A PPI Construction for Napier Residence
• Medium Density up to 3 storeys — over 5 Dwellings — Sunland Homes Pty Ltd for Shea Residences (St Lucia)
• Excellence in Sustainable Living — ARP Building Group Pty Ltd for La Fleur (Auchenflower)
• Best Residential Bathroom — Emmit Builders Pty Ltd for Mirambeena (East Brisbane)
• Best Residential Kitchen — Cabinet Fit Pty Ltd for La Casa Nera (New Farm)
• Best Residential Swimming Pool — Stockton Homes Pty Ltd for Reflection’s (Chandler)
• Apprentice of the Year — Mark Ellis for FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd (Newmarket)
• Rising Star — Chris Munro for Munro Project Builders Pty Ltd (Cleveland)
• Women in Building — Kym Waldron for Dixonres Pty Ltd (Sheldon)
• President’s Award — McDonald Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Brighton Homes Queensland for Mika 35 (South Ripley)
• Project of the Year — Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for W Hotel and Brisbane Quarter (Brisbane City)
• House of the Year — MCD Construction (Qld) Pty Ltd T/A MCD Construction for Highgate Hill Residence (Highgate Hill)