The heritage precinct for the Kinley development by Intrapac that will replace the old Lilydale Quarry.
A SUBURB-SIZED development planned for an old quarry in Lilydale with links to Dame Nellie Melba will be opened up to buyers before the end of the month.
The 163ha development of the former Lilydale Quarry is the second largest development precinct in Melbourne, behind Fishermans Bend.
RELATED: 1880s brick worker’s Lilydale cottage steeped in history undergoes incredible transformation
Buyers camp out to secure land in Truganina’s new Ellarook estate
An aerial representation of the Kinley development.
It’s expected the $2 billion project by Intrapac, dubbed Kinley, will create 3200 new homes for 8000 people — a 70 per cent increase in Lilydale’s population.
The quarry was originally opened by Dame Nellie Melba’s father David Mitchell in 1878, who also ran a bacon factory from the site that became the official supplier to Victoria’s Parliament.
A park planned for the former quarry site.
The quarry closed in 2015, and had recently been most famous for producing Lilydale Toppings — a crushed limestone mix — used in backyards across the city.
Intrapac Property chief operating officer Max Shifman said the site’s history — particularly David Mitchell’s role — had been fascinating to uncover.
The industrious past will also be reflected with commercial districts for dining and shopping.
“He was a really famous guy in and of himself,” Mr Shifman said.
“A noted industrialist and a politician, and yet the success of his daughter has forever overshadowed him.”
Lime processing equipment will join bacon and dairy factories among the structures kept as part of the site’s heritage.
Family friendly open space will also be a significant part of the development.
The quarry, once as deep as 120m, will be progressively filled as the site is developed across the next 12-15 years before eventually also having homes built on it.
“That will be one of the last precincts to be developed,” Mr Shifman said.
A render of how the streetscapes at the development are expected to look.
The first precinct, along the southern edge of the site, will be for sale from October 20 — with 35 lots averaging 500sq m to be for sale.
Almost 4500 people have registered interest in the site with the developer.
MORE: Glenarm Square: level crossing nightmare to turn into dream apartments
St Fillan Farm, once owned by former Victorian Premier James Munro, on the market
Melbourne market to turn by next year: REIV, realestate.com.au